Monday, August 3, 2009

Day 80 - The I Ching is changing my life (oh and Jenn came home)

Jenn came home today. Finally. I sent the morning doing even more cleaning, and I picked up my old bookshelf from my Dad’s so that is now in my room and it makes my life easier.

Jenn and I went to Kickbacks, and on the way there I told her about I have been reading and using the I Ching, and how it is changing my life. She said she wanted to read it, and I had a hard time explaining its not a book you can just read. So once we got inside I pulled it out and some coins and explained to her how to use it, and what the hexagrams mean. So for her first time using it, er question was if moving to Virginia was a good idea. Her result also has her sold on the I Ching. She got the 56th hexagram, Sojourning. Which is all about traveling, journeys: “This is a time of wandering, seeking and living apart. You are a stranger in a strange land, whose identity comes from a distant centre. You are alone, outside the social network, with few connections, on a quest of your own. Make clear decisions even if they are painful…” After I read it out loud I looked up and Jenn’s jaw was pretty much on the table. It was dead on. She knew it was a good idea to move before, but this pretty much sealed the deal. We did a few more and she saw how each hexagram is so different, and its not like a horoscope where you can take anything and mold it to fit your situation. It truly is an oracle. I have never been one to believe in such things, but in the last week that I have been reading and using the I Ching, my life has changed. And I know that is weird, but it makes you view the world differently.

I have been reading a lot about Taoism as well, and I feel like that is for me. I was telling Jenn about this today as well. I have been raised in a Christian house hold. I have gone to Christian schools. I always have and always will consider myself to be a strong Christian. I believe in Jesus and the Bible, but it has never really altered me in any ways. Jenn’s dad is both a Christian and a Buddhist and I feel like I am like him. Christian, but I need something else to explain the world. And that is how Taoism is. It is seriously life altering.

Jenn made me read The Alchemist tonight (Emma lent it to me). I read it cover to cover without moving. It was amazing. It dealt with the idea of connecting to nature and the world around you, so it was right on track with where my mind has been lately. After I read it I was reading more about Taoism when I decided to go back to the I Ching. I was wondering is Taoism was a good fit for me, and I got the 23rd hexagram, Stripping. “This is a time to strip away what is unusable, habits and ideas that have grown old and outmoded. Remove and uncover things. This is an end of a cycle and the preparation for the new. Done deal. I am sold. Tomorrow Jenn and I are going to Chamblins and I will be loading up on books. I am going to get her the I Ching for her birthday. I hope she doesn’t read this.

I don’t know who reads this, but you NEED to read and use the I Ching. It will change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment