Sunday, January 10, 2010

I Hate Television

(I posted this from my phone and I don't know why it formatted like this. I have no Internet here so I will fix it tomorrow when I am home. So. Lo siento.)

I don't fully understand my aversion to television. I think it's just the act of sitting down and mindlessly staring at a screen. Although I have no ppoblem with sitting down and staring at my computer screen for hours. Watching YouTube videos, episodes of Psych and renting movies is fine in my book. So why not TV? At least when I'm on the computer I'm reading and learning something, or talking and
socializing. Sort of.

I am in Fort Lauderdale right now and I have had an incredibly lazy day. I have sat in front of the TV since 6:30, and I am ready to pull out my hair. I am just waiting until I am tired enough to sleep, but that isn't going to happen any time soon. I have watched some movie with Marsha, then Harry Potter, the Soup, and now Chelsea Lately. Even though it is hilarious i hate sitting here. Most people have no problem with sitting down and watching a thirty minute or hour long show but I cannot do it. I fidget and look for something else to do the entire time. Even a half hour drives me out of my mind, and now I have watched five hours of nothing.

I don't understand this strong aversion to television. When I was younger I watched way too much TV. Up until 9th grade I had a TV in my room so it was constantly on. Freshman and sophomore year I had a TV in my dorm but never turned it on. This year I just gave my TV to Lauren to have for the year. I won't use it and it is a waste of space.

There are shows I will drop everything to watch, although they are few and far between. Right now: Jersey Shore. It's hilarious and terrible and painful to watch, but that is the charm. Freshman year it was Shot at Love, which says a lot about the types of shows I watch. Horrible ones. (I feel like this is a good transition into discussing Tila Tequila. I have been in love with her since I was in 10th grade, and this is basically common knowledge. Although lately I cannot stand her. Between her naked UStream rants that last 4 hours and how she has acted since Casey Johnson died, I have decided that she is bat shit crazy.)

Back to my TV watching. Please god let me get tired and go to sleep. I don't want to sit here much longer.


Sent from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. I too avoid television at all costs, as you know. Nothing to me seems like a bigger waste of time and life. Also, commercials alone are enough to turn me off. I hate going from watching something reasonably alright to having a screaming voice come out of nowhere with disgusting greasy pizzas dancing around the screen and cheese being strung about every which way. Gag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only shows I watch are Criminal Minds and Bones, that's really about it though. You know my feelings on the media and their scare tactics, so no news channels for me tyvm.

    And Jersey Shore is best quoted by Ashton Kutcher: "it's like cops before the cops show up" lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Great blog by the way. You know, I absolutely detest TV. It is the greatest thief of time in the world and is responsible for so much laziness & procrastination.

    I’m sure there’s a link with obesity as well but nothing proven yet. I studied my own patterns over a two week period and found I was watching about 30 hours per week – lunacy!!

    All changed now!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete